What are FAB Statements?
What are the core features, advantages, and benefits (F.A.B’s) of your products? What makes you stand out?
FAB stands for Features, Advantages, and Benefits. A FAB Statement is explaining the feature, what it does (the advantage), and how that benefits the prospective client.
Features are one of the easier things to identify. These are facts or characteristics about your business, products, and services. For example, a “1 inch insulation layer” on a sleeping bag is the feature.
Advantages are what the features do. These tend to be factual, and aren’t connected to a prospects need… Yet. For example, “helps retain body heat on cold nights” (sticking with our sleeping bag example).
Benefits answer why someone should value the advantage. It connects the facts about your product to a solution for your client. For example, “when you’re camping, you’ll have a nice warm sleep at night so that when you wake up you’ll be well rested and ready for a day of fun activities.”
Here are a few examples of FAB Statements;FAB example: Children´s clothes (product)
If, for example, you want to sell expensive high-quality children´s clothes, you could look at our business/product in the following way:
- Features– organic cotton with non-toxic print, manufactured under the Fair trade label in Tanzania, eco-bleached.
- Advantages– perfect seams, excellent fit, non-allergenic, colorfast, tolerates repeated washing.
- Benefits– signaling, “Only the best is good enough for my child”, “We can afford the best”, “We support development in the third world.”
FAB example: Psychologist (service)
Services can also be analyzed using the FAB model. For a psychologist selling therapy to people experiencing some sort of crisis, the FAB model could look as follows:
- Features– professional therapist knowledgeable about psychological mechanisms, male/female, special fields of interest.
- Advantages– central location, discreet entrance, inviting premises, pleasant atmosphere.
- Benefits– Learning to cope with day-to-day challenges, less grief, possibility of moving on in life.
FAB Tool Template
Please download the FAB Tool Template to organize your product/service’s features, advantages, and benefits. Once you are inspired by the final outcome, cascade to your customer facing team members to influence new sales.